Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How To: Strip your putter and go RAW!

Re: How To: Strip your putter and go RAW! 7 years 2 months ago #58420

resurrection time! I bought 3 SCOR wedges on the bay a couple weeks ago... and this guy had them refinished kind of black almost oil can with terrible paintfill combos, and they don't look good to my eye. So would the same work for wedges regarding the sand paper and stages? I'd like to get these back to their original chrome state, but Raw might work, though I'm sure it'd take a lot of upkeep?!?!?!

Any other thoughts on restoring my wedges to original finish?
Driver: Titleist 913D2 10.5* with Stiff Aldila RIP 60g
2 Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 tour 16.5*
Irons: TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB 3/4i, MC 5/6i, MB 7-9i
Wedges: SCOR 44*, 48*, 56*, & 61*
Putter: 35" Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.6

GB giveaways winner of: Srixon Q Stars, Nike RZN

Tester...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How To: Strip your putter and go RAW! 7 years 2 months ago #58423

  • PutterAddict
  • PutterAddict's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Tester
  • Posts: 2022
  • Thank you received: 222
you could strip them with I think regular coke, let them sit in it and it might remove the finish. Do you have a picture of them?

Raw will be very susceptible to rust
Check out my newest review!
Lamkin Sink Putter Grip - golfballed.com/categories/accessory-revi...k-putter-grip-review
Instagram and Twitter - Putting2theMax
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spaceman_Spiff

Re: How To: Strip your putter and go RAW! 7 years 2 months ago #58425

PutterAddict wrote:
you could strip them with I think regular coke, let them sit in it and it might remove the finish. Do you have a picture of them?

Raw will be very susceptible to rust

I'll try and grab pics tonight... Is there a chrome type finish similar perhaps to the gun metal referred to in the other refinishing threads that I could use that would give that appearance and or protect it? Mostly protection is what I think I'd like, the chrome is not a necessity but I kinda get OCD about matching my gear too.

Thanks PA! I'll start soaking them ASAP. You think like overnight? Or is that too long?
Driver: Titleist 913D2 10.5* with Stiff Aldila RIP 60g
2 Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 tour 16.5*
Irons: TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB 3/4i, MC 5/6i, MB 7-9i
Wedges: SCOR 44*, 48*, 56*, & 61*
Putter: 35" Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.6

GB giveaways winner of: Srixon Q Stars, Nike RZN

Tester...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • PutterAddict
  • PutterAddict's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Tester
  • Posts: 2022
  • Thank you received: 222
take a pic first and lets see what the finish looks like before you jump in :) once you do it there is no turning back
Check out my newest review!
Lamkin Sink Putter Grip - golfballed.com/categories/accessory-revi...k-putter-grip-review
Instagram and Twitter - Putting2theMax
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spaceman_Spiff

Re: How To: Strip your putter and go RAW! 7 years 2 months ago #58431

  • AceOn13
  • AceOn13's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • GolfBalled Junkie
  • Posts: 1218
  • Thank you received: 168
Spaceman_Spiff wrote:
PutterAddict wrote:
you could strip them with I think regular coke, let them sit in it and it might remove the finish. Do you have a picture of them?

Raw will be very susceptible to rust

I'll try and grab pics tonight... Is there a chrome type finish similar perhaps to the gun metal referred to in the other refinishing threads that I could use that would give that appearance and or protect it? Mostly protection is what I think I'd like, the chrome is not a necessity but I kinda get OCD about matching my gear too.

Thanks PA! I'll start soaking them ASAP. You think like overnight? Or is that too long?

This has my wheels turnin'. Great question!!! I'll look forward to your results and then copy afterwards :) haha
Crazy excited to #BRINGIT with a full on Callaway setup through my bag for 2013! Stoked to #GROWTHEGAME! Eager to #GRIND and #IMPROVE! PUMPED FOR ALL THINGS GB and CLUB WARS!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Re: How To: Strip your putter and go RAW! 7 years 2 months ago #58484

PutterAddict wrote:
take a pic first and lets see what the finish looks like before you jump in :) once you do it there is no turning back

So these pics much like the pics in the eBay listing aren't as telling. I might not have pulled the trigger on these had I truly known, but I also figured I'd at least be doing my own paintfill for sure.

So it looks somewhat like a gun metal finish...





Here's a good shot of the bad work... See the bubbling or inconsistency?



And the inconsistency of color coordination? Not to mention the weird discoloration on the back of this one...







So please, PA help me out!

I'd love to go back to the original chrome finish, but I'd be happy just something simple, plain, protected and matching!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
Driver: Titleist 913D2 10.5* with Stiff Aldila RIP 60g
2 Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 tour 16.5*
Irons: TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB 3/4i, MC 5/6i, MB 7-9i
Wedges: SCOR 44*, 48*, 56*, & 61*
Putter: 35" Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.6

GB giveaways winner of: Srixon Q Stars, Nike RZN

Tester...
The administrator has disabled public write access.